Thursday, November 6, 2014

do it Yourself

Earlier this week I brought all the pumpkins in from the front porch.  (That is, all but the three Jack-o-Lanterns someone stole!)

 {Here are six of the eight sugar pumpkins we grew this year}

I cleaned them up, cut them in quarters and threw them in the oven for a bit.


I ended up with 16 cups of pureed pumpkin.


I'm so excited not to have to buy any canned pumpkin this year.  I can't wait to make pumpkin bread, pumpkin scones, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin....

I threw away the seeds from the first three pumpkins I baked and felt like I'd just thrown away good food.  I cleaned, seasoned and baked the seeds from the second three for a snack.  They didn't turn out as good as I'd hoped, but, hey - Free snack!

I love that all this was free.  I saved the seeds from pumpkins last year to plant in the garden this year, so I didn't even have to buy the seeds.  I love having a huge collection of food in the freezer and on the pantry shelves that we grew or bought from local farms.  It's almost hard to part with it!

Linking up with Jenny Matlock's Alphabe-Thursday

4 comments:

  1. Pumpkin pie is my favorite vegetable. Mrs. Jim and I baked one last night, a Marie Calender one. It was really good, although not as good as on of hers made from scratch. We didn't get a pumpkin this year. Monica, your home grown ones are sooo pretty. We used to grow them, growing up on the farm.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. hope you get great big pumpkins in your garden. You're very energetic - good for you! {:-Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pumpkin. This city girl never even thought about getting it from any place except a can! I might have to try that one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool is this!? I love it! And I bet those will make the absolute BEST pumpkin treats!

    ReplyDelete